Living Learning Laboratory Program
A 6-week intensive community engagement and experiential learning program.
2 weeks of intensive, interactive orientation about the Indian Social Changemaking ecosystem. The study modules include:
– Poverty Simulation Exercise with real life inputs from community members
– Nudge Economics: Thaler’s economic theory to understand decision making of marginalized communities
– Overview of Indian culture, history, economy and diversity.
– Visits and meetings with government, industry, research, non profit and community representatives
– Multiple interactions with community members planned and facilitated by FISI
4 weeks or self-propelled co-development of an innovation or an idea with the community in a rural, urban or peri-urban area.
– Immersive learning support
To help you get an immersive community experience in the 6 weeks you spend with this program, we have included some special elements:
– Logistical support: You will not have to worry about basics like where to stay, how to travel, communicate etc. In our pre-program talks with you, we will help you select from stay, health insurance, travel, internet and mobile phone options. Within the first two days of your landing in Delhi, we will introduce you to nearby shopping centers, sports complexes, doctors, banks and popular hangouts
– Pre-Program support: An information module to prepare you for the experience. Logistical details of your stay, some dos and don’ts for first-time travelers to India, basics of Hindi. Also preparatory readings on social issues in India
– Stay at local homes: One of the stay options we offer is to stay in the homes of local families. Engaging with them to get a first-hand account of their daily lives can be a great learning experience
– Language support: Apart from the pre-program language inputs, we will guide your learning of Hindi through an online tool. Also, practice sessions in the first 2 weeks of the program will be on learning language and cultural nuances.
– Explore India: Do you want to explore India’s rich heritage? Or it’s colorful diversity? Or do you want to go hiking or paragliding on the mighty Himalayas? Or do you want to meditate and do yoga? We offer you all these opportunities and more!
Special Project Choices
– Environmental sustainability
– Urban Sustainability (Special focus on Water and Sanitation)
– Preventive Health (special focus on WASH)
– Food Security
– Water Security
– Empowerment of the marginalized
For 2018-19, all locations are in India. The states we offer the program in are:
– National Capital Region of Delhi (Delhi and suburbs)
– Uttar Pradesh
– Himachal Pradesh
$2,500 – Cost for first 6 weeks – every additional week $300 per week (Inclusive of internal travel, lodging and food expenses in India)
$1,500 – Cost for first 6 weeks – every additional week $170 per week (Only program fees not inclusive of internal travel, lodging and food expenses in India)
Special Discounts available for Indian Applicants:
Rs. 25,000 – 6-week base program fee, not inclusive of any travel or lodging costs
* Conditions Apply